Fun Fact of the Day: Villanova had the highest field goal percentage (58%) throughout the tournament of any national champion.
And the winner is… Last night the Villanova Wildcats defeated the UNC Tar Heels (77-74) with a 3-point buzzer beater to become the National Champs! College basketball fans were excited to see a thrilling and competitive game, after two big blowouts in the Final Four. During the 1st half, UNC was uncharacteristically hot from 3-pt range, but the Wildcats came thundering back in the 2nd half by dominant play in the paint. In the final seconds of the game, UNC’s Marcus Paige hit a 3-pointer to tie up the score, making overtime seem inevitable. Instead, just moments later Villanova’s Kris Jenkins shot the game-winning buzzer beater and confetti started raining from the sky. Yesterday’s win was Villanova’s 2nd National Championship (the 1st was in 1985) and reversed a trend of early exits from the tournament. Way to go Wildcats! And cue the crying Jordan meme…
Let’s crack this thing wide open. Yesterday, more teams started off their regular seasons, here are your Opening Day highlights:
- L.A. Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw had another perfect Opening day, pitching for 7 scoreless innings to help beat the San Diego Padres (15-0).
- The San Francisco Giants hit 3 home runs in a row to win big over the Milwaukee Brewers (12-3), getting their even-year winning streak off to a great start.
- Seattle Mariners lost to the Texas Rangers (3-2), making this their first losing Opening Day game since 2006.
- The Chicago Cubs are off to a good start in their year, defeating the Anaheim Angels (9-0).
Seen and Heard
Welcome to the Hall. Superstars Shaquille O’Neal and Allen Iverson were among 10 new inductees to the Basketball Hall of Fame yesterday.
- What should I know about Shaq? You probably know Shaq for his huge 7’1” frame and equally big TV personality. Even though he “lost” to Aaron Carter once upon a time, Shaq was a famed big man who racked up tons of records throughout his career, including a league MVP, 4 NBA Championships, 15 NBA All-Star game appearances and a top 10 career scoring record.
- What should I know about Allen Iverson aka “AI” aka “The Answer”? He was known as one of the greatest scorers of all time averaging 26.7 points per game throughout his career, despite his petite 6 ft, 165 lb frame. On the court, Iverson was a fan favorite and big influence for the current generation of NBA superstars. Off the court, he was a controversial figure, including an ugly divorce and destructive gambling tendencies.
Step away from the logo. Yesterday, the Cleveland Indians announced that the letter ‘C’ will become their primary logo and the controversial Chief Wahoo mascot will be downgraded to their secondary logo. Don’t slow clap yet… They still haven’t gotten rid of the Chief Wahoo logo altogether, because they say it is part of the “history and legacy” of the team.
Have March Madness withdrawal? Tune into the Women’s National Championship tonight! UConn is the heavy favorite over Syracuse, because of their extreme dominance in women’s basketball. No seriously… The Huskies are in the middle of a 72 game winning streak and they have defeated opponents by an average of 41.6 points per game in this year’s tournament. 8:30pm ET ESPN.