Fun Fact of the Day: NFL kickers have been having a rough season and yesterday was no exception. Kickers missed a record high 12 extra points, beating the previous record of 10 in one week, which was set in 1985.
Week 11 highlights:
- Bye bye Bengals. Cincinnati Bengals star wide receiver AJ Green was carted off the field with a hamstring injury. TBD on how long he’ll be out, but this loss really hurts the team. Going into the game, Green was having another fantastic season with 964 receiving yards, only behind Atlanta Falcons receiver Julio Jones. More bad news. The Bengals’ leading rusher, running back Giovani Bernard tore his ACL and will be out the rest of the season.
- Goff’s highly anticipated debut. The L.A. Rams finally decided to start #1 draft pick Jared Goff at QB this week. As expected, he wasn’t anything special. Goff finished 17-of-31 for 134 yards with no touchdown passes. In the last 6 minutes of the game, the Rams blew a 10-point lead to the Miami Dolphins.
- Packing it in. The Green Bay Packers’ season is in free-fall. They’ve now lost 4 games in a row and are in serious danger of missing the playoffs. It doesn’t help their chances that they lost 4 defensive players to injuries last night.
Week 12 highlights:
- Not Texas Strong for long. This weekend, Kansas fans got rowdy and tore down a goal post after beating Texas 24-21 in overtime. They had every reason to be excited, Kansas was a massive underdog before the game. They had lost their last 9 consecutive games and hadn’t beaten Texas since 1938. After this surprise loss, Texas’s head coach Charlie Strong is probably updating his resume. Boosters have been pressuring Texas to fire him after next week’s final regular season game against TCU.
- The Big Ten event. Both #2 Ohio State and #3 Michigan stayed put at the top of the rankings after squeaking by with close wins this weekend. That means, next weekend you’ll get to watch a fantastic rivalry game with Michigan @ Ohio State. These teams are already archenemies, but the stakes are even higher this year, because the loser will drop out of contention for the College Football Playoffs.
Seen and Heard
Tony’s next team? Even though Tony Romo has come to terms with being the Dallas Cowboys’ backup QB behind rookie Dak Prescott, that doesn’t mean he wants to end his career on the bench. Rumor has it, he’s hoping to get traded this offseason to the Denver Broncos. At age 36, he won’t have many more chances to win that elusive first Super Bowl.
Houston Texans (6-3) @ Oakland Raiders (7-2). Tonight is the last international series game of the season! This one is in Mexico City and you can bet the audience is going to boo America’s national anthem. After winning their past 3 games, the Oakland Raiders are sitting on top of the AFC West behind QB Derek Carr, wide receiver Amari Cooper, and defensive end Khalil Mack. They’ll be coming in extra refreshed after a week off. 8:30pm ET on ESPN