Fun Fact of the Day: This weekend Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott set a new NFL rookie record with 155th straight passes without an interception. His perfect streak officially beat out Philadelphia Eagles rookie QB Carson Wentz, who threw his first interception on his 135th pass this weekend.
MLB Playoffs highlights:
- Toronto Blue Jays advance to the ALCS. In what was supposed to be an exciting and emotionally charged ALDS rematch, the Jays swept the Texas Rangers 3-0.
- Washington Nationals v. L.A. Dodgers tied 1-1. The Nationals managed to tie up the series, after losing to the Dodgers in Game 1. Next up, the series heads back to the Dodgers’ home turf on the West coast.
- Advantage: Cleveland & Chicago. The Indians and Cubs are up 2-0 in their series and are hoping to close things out tonight.
Week 5 highlights:
- New England Patriots beat Cleveland Browns (33-13). Pats QB Tom Brady was back in action and didn’t miss a beat after serving his 4-game Deflategate suspension. The Pats easily beat the Browns, who are still the only team in the NFL that hasn’t won a game. To make matters worse, the Browns’ 3rd starting QB of the season, rookie Cody Kessler left the game with rib injuries. If he doesn’t play next week, the Browns will be on to their 27th starting QB since 1999 with either Terrelle Pryor or Charlie Whitehurst.
- Are the Vikings the best team in the NFL? The Vikings are the last undefeated team in the league, after the Denver Broncos and Philadelphia Eagles both lost this past weekend. This is definitely a pleasant surprise for Vikings fans. A lot of people wrote them off after they lost their starting QB Teddy Bridgewater to a torn ACL and their best player, running back Adrian Peterson to a torn meniscus.
Week 6 highlights:
- Navy beat #6 Houston (46-40). Houston’s hopes of making it to the College Football Playoffs came to an end this weekend when they lost to lowly unranked Navy. Navy took advantage of the rainy game and defeated Houston, despite being a 17-point underdog.
- #8 Texas A&M beat #9 Tennessee (45-38) in double overtime. In 4 out of their last 5 games, the Tennessee Volunteers overcame double-digit deficits to win, including a miraculous Hail Mary last week against Georgia. But their luck finally ran out this week, in their 2nd overtime against Texas A&M.
Seen and Heard
A thorny Rose. New York Knicks star Derrick Rose is in the middle of an ugly civil trial for raping an ex-girlfriend. Last week, the plaintiff gave a very disturbing and tearful account of a gang rape involving Rose and 2 of his friends. Then Rose took the stand and claimed the encounter was consensual based on the plaintiff’s past behavior and a series of lurid text messages throughout the day. Regardless of who is telling the truth, Derrick is not coming out of this trial smelling like roses.
Back on the green. Tiger Woods is making his big return to golf at the Safeway Open this week. This will be his first tournament in 15 months, after undergoing two back surgeries last year.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) @ Carolina Panthers (1-3). Remember last season when the Panthers dominated the regular season and made it all the way to the Super Bowl? Who would have guessed that they would be starting this season with the same record as the Buccaneers? This week, the Panthers will be missing reigning MVP QB Cam Newton, who suffered a concussion in last week’s loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Backup QB Derek Anderson will be starting in his place. This is only his 3rd start for the Panthers, but both of his earlier starts were also against the Bucs and resulted in wins. 8:30pm ET on ESPN
ALDS: Best of 5
- Cleveland Indians (2-0) @ Boston Red Sox (0-2). 6pm ET on TBS
NLDS: Best of 5
- Washington Nationals (1-1) @ L.A. Dodgers (1-1). 4pm ET on MLBN
- Chicago Cubs (2-0) @ San Francisco Gaints (0-2). 9:30pm ET on FS1
Q&A with Jess Ceresino
Read our feature on Jess Ceresino, who is the founder of the popular sports and lifestyle blog “The Sports Brat.” I talked to her about her lifelong love of sports, how her dad taught her all about the West Coast offense, and the new podcast she launched just last month.